Obesity Facts

Statistics have shown that the Canadian population has experienced a great increase of obesity and overweight rates during the past few years, and this has been seen among all age groups and both genders.

According to statistics, Canadian children and adolescents, (ages 2 to 17) showed that 12% of this age group were overweight and 3% were obese in 1978 and by 2004, the obesity facts and overweight facts showed that the same age group was 18% overweight and 8% were obese, which is over 1.6 million in these two classifications for a combined rate of 26%.

By looking at overweight and obesity facts among various age groups, you will be more surprised. The children aged 2 to 5 remained almost unchanged, while the 12 to 17 year old more than doubled in overweight and tripled in obesity.Yet, there is very little change of obesity and overweight rate in terms of male or female.

There are some difference of this for different provinces. The highest overweight facts and highest obesity facts tend to come from the Atlantic Provinces.Newfoundland, Labrador, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, and Manitoba were above the national averages in overweight. Based on the data from the 2004 Canadian Community Health Survey,Newfoundland, Labrador and New Brunswick have been found have significant higher obesity rates than the national average. These statistics are similar to American overweight facts and obesity facts.

How did this happen?

One of the biggest reasons of this happening is that people tend to eat increased fast food but less fruits and vegetables. One of the other reasons lead to obesity and overweight is due to the sedentary lifestyle of spending too much time in front of computers, TV, and by playing video games.

When it comes to adults, the overweight facts and obesity facts tend to be related to lower socio-economic status where middle-income households were more likely to be overweight or obese than low-income and high income households. Education was another factor where households that no members held more than a high school diploma tended to be more overweight or obese.

The popular treatment of obesity and over weight teens and adults would involve less consumption of fast foods, increased consumption of fruit and vegetables, more exercise and less time spent in front of the television, computer or video games .

It is found that fat is easy and quick to accumulate especially when one enters from adolescents to adulthood and fat gained during this period is very stubborn to lose. This pattern is likely to put an additional burden on the health care system as overweight and obese people tend to have more health problems.

It is important to address, however, that all gender and age groups need to pay attention to obesity and over-weight facts the problems related to them;the adolescents population, being the center of the problem.

The problem of obesity and overweight is correlated to several environmental and social issues as it appears both in the Canadian and the American society.

Governments of both countries need to take appropriate actions in addressing this problem for the good of the general public.